Ready for the challenge?
Looking for a new project for your yard that the whole family can enjoy? The Grange Insurance Audubon Center (GIAC) and Columbus Audubon (CA) teamed up in 2021 to create a Native Plant Back Yard Challenge. In 2022, we're looking for return and new households in central Ohio who would like to transform or further develop their outdoor spaces into native habitats. Not only will you be able to learn some simple, cost-effective steps to create this native wildlife habitat, but you will also have the opportunity to participate in a Community Science Project that will help to support the importance of native plant habitats in increasing and preserving biodiversity.
We are offering a Returning NPBYC Participant/Columbus Audubon/Grange Insurance Audubon Center Member Registration fee of $25, as well as two New Participant Registration fees - $45 which includes registration and a household Audubon membership OR $35 which includes the NPBYC registration fee only, no Audubon membership.
The 2022 Registration includes the following:
- "Tool kits” and other resources throughout the challenge to include:
- Initial yard survey instructions and accompanying information.
- List of native plants, ideal planting conditions, bloom schedule, and specific birds and insects that are attracted to and depend on each plant.
- A list of invasive plants to avoid, identification, negative impacts, and tips on how to control these plants.
- A participation sign to display in the yard to spread the word about efforts in establishing a more native outdoor space.
- A few extras - gardening bag with gardening gloves, tool, book and soil test kit and more (were you a 2021 NPBYC participant? You'll receive new extras this year - stay tuned!)
- Three plant plugs to get households started and an opportunity to attend the private NPBYC Native Plant Sale May 7th from 9-11 am from a variety of vendors to purchase more plants for your outdoor space
- An envelope of our special NPBYC seed mix with choice of seeds from a seed buffet, and participant seed swap in the fall
- The opportunity to purchase a Native Plant Backyard Challege completion sign to display recognizing completion in the program at the end of the year (additional fee applies).
- An invitation to join the Private NPBYC Facebook group.
In 2021 there was an option to sponsor a household. These generous donations allowed another household to participate in the program by covering the registration fee and providing a native plant stipend. If you are interested in participating in the upcoming 2022 program but the fee may be cost prohibitive, please reach out to Allison Clark, Grange Insurance Audubon Center Public Engagement Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be placed on our sponsorship wait list. Sponsorship inquiries will be filled as sponsorship opportunities arise. You will be notified via email as soon as your request can be filled. If you would like to donate towards sponsoring a household, please contact Allison as well to learn how to do so.
The general timeline for the 2022 Native Plant Back Yard Challenge is as follows:
- February 2022: Registration opens February 18th, 2022 at noon - Click HERE! Be sure to scroll down to the NPBYC Registration
- March 2022: Challenge Begins
- Receive your digital information toolkit materials via email or pick up your hard copies at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center
- Participate in an in person challenge kick off speaker program to learn more about the importance of native plants and to learn how to record the flora and fauna present in your outdoor space as you begin and throughout the challenge
- Receive links to pre-recorded informational speakers to help learn more about designing your outdoor space and some things to consider in your planning
- Join the NPBYC private Facebook Group (any annoucements will also be available to those who are not on Facebook; however, this is a great platform to get to know other challenge participants, ask questions and share progress throughout the challenge!)
- Participants plan their outdoor spaces and submit before pictures of their outdoor spaces
- April, 2022:
- Continued in person speaker series with access to pre-recorded virtual speaker programs
- and counting begins!
- May 7th, 2022: Attend the NPBYC Native Plant Sale (private to 2022 challenge members 9-11 am, open to the public from 11 am - 1 pm) and Kickoff Celebration at 11 am!
- Meet the NPBYC committee and fellow participants
- Hear from 2021 NPBYC participants and be inspired by the 2021 before, during and after slideshow
- Pick up plant plugs and attend a private plant sale to purchase additional plugs and plants. Know of a native plant nursery or supplier you'd like to see participate? Please send ideas and contact information to Allison Clark at email@example.com
- First of each month: Share Out – share what’s happening.
- Speaker series March - November via Zoom or in person at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center depending on Covid impacts
- June/July/August: Go on the NPBYC Garden Tour (with hosts from the 2021 NPBYC and other native plant enthusiasts) to be inspired. Conclude by touring the native plant demonstration gardens at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center and celebrate the day with other participants
- Sept – early Nov: Harvest your seeds and sharing events (seed collection, plant/seed swap, seed buffet). You'll also have the opportunity to learn more about seed stratification, fall plantings and fall clean up as we head into winter)
- November: End of Challenge Celebration at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center
- Reunion – date to be determined: What did we learn? Presentation regarding second year data and recruitment for new participants in 2023. Opportunity to share before and after pictures of everyone's hard work!
Registration continues HERE
*Current Columbus Audubon/Grange Insurance Audubon Center members/returning NPBYC participants - when clicking the link to register, if you haven't purchased tickets on the ticketing website - please click on Forgot Password to set the Password for your account. Then you'll be able to purchase the Member/Returning NPBYC Participant Registration. Your membership account will be under the email in which you became a member in 2021. Non-returning Columbus Audubon/Grange Insurance Audubon Center members - please click on Forgot Password as well. If your membership has expired, you can renew your membership by clicking on renew membership in your account before registering for the 2022 NPBYC. Don't worry - you probably didn't really forget your password, our new system didn't send out information on how members could log in. If you have ANY questions, feel free to reach out to Allison at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!